Seek Compensation for Severe Injuries Resulting From a Cape Coral Boat Accident
Recreational boating is a popular pastime in Cape Coral, but along with it comes the risk of becoming involved in a serious boating accident that results in significant injuries. If you or a loved one has been severely injured in a boat accident, a free consultation with an experienced Cape Coral boat accident lawyer at Berke Law Firm, P.A., can help you learn about opportunities you may have to seek compensation for your damages, including filing a lawsuit.
Berke Law Firm has helped boat accident victims for more than three decades to seek compensation for their losses. Our team’s highly experienced personal injury lawyers know that boat accidents can happen due to many different reasons and that each case must be handled differently.
Common Causes of Boat Accidents
Cape Coral boat accidents most commonly result from a boat operator’s inattention or lack of proficiency. Reckless boaters, collisions of two or more boats, and boats striking stationary objects also cause a larger percentage of boat accident injuries.
Other boat accident causes can include:
- Passenger behavior;
- Bad weather conditions;
- Alcohol or drug use;
- Equipment failure;
- Hazardous waters, such as strong currents; and
- Heavy water traffic.
In the blink of an eye, a boat accident can change your life forever, resulting in mounting medical costs, lifelong injuries, and years of rehabilitative therapies. This underscores the importance of hiring a Cape Coral boat accident lawyer who can help you and your family navigate the path toward recovering for your damages.
Following a boating accident, a Berke Law Firm attorney can help you identify the parties who may be liable for your injuries and help properly evaluate your accident to determine how to best seek compensation for your damages. If a loved one dies as a result of a boat accident, you may be able to file a wrongful death claim, as well.
Types of boat and watercraft accidents that can lead to serious injury or death include:
- Collisions with other vessels or stationary objects,
- Falls aboard boats and falls overboard,
- Water skiing mishaps,
- Grounding, and
- Getting struck by the motor or the propeller.
Preventing Boat Accidents and Related Injuries
Both boat passengers and operators can take precautions to prevent boat accident injuries. Because accident prevention is always better than cure, here are several tips that will help you avoid injuries resulting from severe boat accidents:
- Invest in adequate safety gear and understand how to use it. Most essentially, all recreational boaters should wear life jackets and have other flotation devices available on board. Boaters should also consider adding first-aid equipment to their safety kits.
- Monitor water and weather conditions. Many boating accidents occur amid severe weather conditions, which may arise even if the weather is clear when the boater enters the water. It is crucial to monitor weather and water conditions as time progresses, and to return to shore if severe weather or water conditions arise.
- Be vigilant and watchful. An inattentive operator can cause severe property damage to the boat and grievous bodily injury to the boat’s passengers. Vigilance while on the water, including maintaining a safe speed and following all navigation rules, helps ensure proper boat operation. The operator should never become distracted by passengers, and passengers should help the operator focus on the water.
Talk to a Cape Coral Boat Accident Lawyer Today
If you or a loved one has been injured on the water in Cape Coral, it is important to consult with a boat accident lawyer who has experience in this field and has previously handled a case like yours. A Berke Law Firm lawyer can review your medical bills, insurance policy, medical records, and accident report to determine how to best recover for your injuries. You may be able to seek compensation for lost wages and medical complications, as well as additional damages.
Please contact us by phone at 239-549-6689 to book a free consultation.
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers About Boat Accidents in Cape Coral
What should you do immediately if you are involved boat accident in Cape Coral?
- Identify who may need medical attention resulting from the accident and seek treatment as soon as possible. After a boating accident, your priority should be seeking medical attention. Do not turn down the opportunity to board an ambulance to reach the nearest hospital.
- Call the police to report the accident.
- Notify the Coast Guard of the accident.
- Exchange contact information with accident witnesses.
- Document evidence from the accident scene through photos, videos, = victim statements, etc.
- Seek legal representation from an experienced Cape Coral boat accident lawyer.
Are boating accident claims complex?
Yes, boating accident claims are complex because there are many factors involved in these accidents, including insurance policies and relevant laws. Hiring a Cape Coral boat accident attorney may help you maximize your recovery for damages following an accident.
Should I contact my insurance company after a boat accident?
It is usually safer to seek representation from a legal professional with boat accident experience before contacting the insurance company. Insurance companies tend to minimize the monetary benefits and try to settle the claim for less money than your lawyer may help you otherwise receive.