Seeking Legal Assistance Following a Cape Coral Bicycle Accident
Bicycle riding has become an increasingly popular mode of transportation because it is cost-effective, eco-friendly, and good for one’s health. But cycling’s popularity has led to an uptick in bicycle accidents, often resulting in severe injuries and property damage. A Cape Coral bicycle accident attorney can help you determine next steps for recovering compensation following an injury.
The Berke Law Firm, P.A., team has helped bicycle accident injury and other personal injury claimants secure winning settlements and prove other parties’ fault for more than three decades through vigorous representation and in-depth legal knowledge.
Leading Causes of Bicycle Accidents
While cycling is generally safe, several factors make bicycle riders especially vulnerable to serious accidents:
- Congested roads
- Speeding motorists
- Lack of attention
- Lane merging or intersections
- Parking lots, sidewalks, and driveways
- Failure to maintain proper spacing with passing automobiles
- Poor weather conditions
The most common causes of bicycle accidents are:
- Left-turn collisions, in which a motorist at an intersection makes a left turn as a cyclist approaches, pulling directly in front of the bicycle directly or hitting it. This can cause the cyclist to collide into the side of the car.
- Intersection collisions, in which a cyclist stops at an intersection but a motorist does not, resulting in a rear-end crash. In these scenarios, the driver is often speeding or following too closely, preventing them from breaking in time.
- Collisions into doors, in which a vehicle occupant opens a door without checking to see whether a bicyclist is coming from behind, causing the bicyclist to crash into the vehicle door. This is a common cause of collision often happens when a vehicle occupant attempts to get out on the wrong side of the road.
- Right-turns collisions, in which a motorist makes a right turn and crosses the bike lane, hitting the bicyclist. In most of these situations, the bicyclist was riding straight and the motorist fails to signal their turn.
The Importance of Engaging a Bicycle Accident Lawyer
A Cape Coral bicycle accident attorney can help victims navigate legal hassles and maximize potential compensation recovery. If another driver or bicyclist may have been at fault for the injuries you have suffered, it is important to consult an attorney with significant experience with cases like yours.
Following a bike accident, a lawyer can help you:
- Gather medical documents
- Collaborate with insurance companies
- Network with other legal professionals
- Suggest additional medical tests and examinations
- Apply legal strategies to maximize your compensation
- Set expectations with the other party
- Represent your case in the best way possible to the jury
- Offer additional solutions and valuable advice based on your unique case
Bicycle accident cases can be quite complex and lengthy, and you must ensure clear communication with your legal team. In your first meeting, you should clarify how your attorney will communicate or interact with you about the case and how frequently.
The Berke Law Firm’s team of skilled and experienced lawyers follows an effective legal strategy to help win fair compensation for bicycle accident victims. Please contact us by phone at 239-549-6689 to book a free consultation.
Frequently Asked Questions About Bicycle Accidents in Cape Coral
What should I do following a bicycle accident in Cape Coral?
Remaining calm and following proper procedure following a bicycle accident will increase the chances that an experienced bicycle accident lawyer can help you successfully manage the post-accident process for recovery:
- Check for injuries. If you are hurt, ask for immediate medical attention.
- Move to a safer area. If you are able, move yourself and your bicycle to a safer area that is further from the road.
- Look for witnesses. If you see any witnesses, request their contact information and attempt to record their statements about the accident. They can help you later explain how the accident occurred to the police.
- Call the police and avoid interaction with the opposite party. Contact the police right away. Conversing informally with the opposing party and in a heated situation can make things more difficult by potentially shifting blame to you, threatening your ability to recover for your damages.
- Contact a bicycle accident attorney. This may be the most important step you will take.
Who will be responsible for compensating a victim for bicycle accident damages in Cape Coral?
It depends on whose negligence caused the accident, or whoever was at fault. Depending on the situation, it may be the vehicle’s owner, the motorist, a vehicle’s manufacturer or retailer, or the government entity responsible for bicycle lane maintenance.
Whom should I contact first, an insurance adjuster or an attorney?
Always contact a bicycle accident attorney before talking to anyone from the insurance adjuster team. The adjuster’s task is to minimize the amount to satisfy your claim, and your attorney’s role is to maximize your recovery. A Cape Coral bicycle accident attorney can analyze your damages and negotiate with the insurance adjuster and other people on your behalf to protect your rights.