Legal Compensation for Fort Myers Dog Bite Injury Victims
Dog bite injuries occur when an aggressive dog attacks a person or another animal, often without provocation. Injuries resulting from dog bites are one of the most common types of personal injuries, with approximately 800,000 people bitten by dogs every year. Dog bite injuries often require expensive special care and medical attention.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a dog bite accident and face subsequent damages, an experienced Fort Myers dog bite attorney can help you determine the next steps for securing the compensation you deserve.
The Berke Law Firm, P.A., team has worked with dog bite injury victims and other personal injury claimants to secure winning settlements for more than three decades through vigorous representation, rich experience, and in-depth legal knowledge. We have helped many people handle complex dog bite injury claims and achieve fair compensation for their severe injuries.
What to Do If You Are Attacked by a Dog
Most dog bites occur in the home and in the dog owner’s presence. If you are bitten in the dog owner’s presence, they may be liable for negligence and legally responsible for compensating you for your pain and suffering. A Fort Myers dog bite attorney can help you to determine what steps you should take following a dog bite injury, because every jurisdiction has different laws regarding these cases.
Under Florida’s dog bite statutes, the dog owner is strictly liable for a dog bite attack injury and the victim does not have to prove that their injuries resulted from negligence. In the immediate aftermath of a dog bite attack, consider taking the following steps:
- Seek professional medical assistance. One of the most common mistakes that many dog bite victims make is failing to seek medical help if they think they have only minor injuries. Sometimes it is impossible to determine the severity of an injury until a later time. Visiting a doctor can strengthen your case and may affect the amount of compensation to which you are entitled. Medical records and other doctor documentation will help you show that your injury was caused by a dog bite.
- Report the incident to the police. Initiating a police report will strengthen your case and improve your chances of securing the compensation you deserve.
- Gather evidence and speak to eyewitnesses. Evidence regarding how the dog bite injury occurred and the circumstances surrounding the incident may affect the success of your claim. You should photograph your injuries over the course of several days, as well as retain the clothing you wore during the dog bite attack to show any tears or damage resulting from the incident. Record the contact information for any eyewitnesses and the dog’s owner for future reference.
- Contact a Fort Myers dog bite attorney. Working with an experienced dog bite injury lawyer can speed up the legal process and help you secure compensation more quickly. Our team of lawyers can analyze your case and help you achieve the desired outcome.
Maximizing Compensation Following a Dog Bite Injury
Dog bite attack injuries can expand beyond your initial physical pain and may lead to unexpected expenses. To determine whether you qualify for compensation to make you whole after your loss, the following factors will be considered:
- Severity of injuries,
- Medical expenses,
- Hospitalization charges,
- Lost income, and
- Any scarring or disfigurement.
Because so many factors come into play when evaluating a dog bite injury claim, the amount of compensation due to victims varies widely, as well. A Fort Myers dog bite attorney can efficiently collaborate with your medical professionals to maximize recovery.
If you require surgical intervention, such as plastic surgery or other operations, to treat your dog bite injuries are involved, your claims may be higher. Your lawyer can help determine whether you will face any unexpected medical issues in the future, ensuring any post-surgery or critical recovery value is considered in determining proper compensation.
A Fort Myers dog bite attorney can help you determine whether you have a claim and how to best proceed. An experienced legal professional can assist you with every step of your dog bite injury claim, including the application process, document collection, evidence validation, and negotiating compensation.
The Berke Law Firm’s team of skilled and experienced lawyers follows an effective legal strategy to help win fair compensation for dog bite injury victims. Please contact us by phone at 239-549-6689 to book a free consultation.
Common Questions About Fort Myers Dog Bite Injury Cases
What diseases can I get from a dog bite injury?
Some diseases that are transmittable to humans by dog bites include rabies, Pasteurella infections, staph and strep infections, and Capnocytophaga infections.
What evidence must I provide to succeed in a dog bite claim in Fort Myers?
You may need to show whether the owner knew about the dog’s dangerous nature, that the owner failed to protect you, that the dog attacked and bit you, and that you suffered injuries resulting from the dog attack.
How long does it take to settle a dog bite claim?
The length of time that it will take to settle a dog bite claim is highly variable and depends on many factors. A Fort Myers dog bite lawyer can evaluate your case and help you determine the best course of action to expedite your claim.